Romsey Town (3) 4 v Andover Town (0) 1

Romsey Town completed a League double over a hapless Andover Town at The AEC Protection Ground on Tuesday evening with a convincing 4-1 victory, writes Tony Galsworthy.

Town boss Andy Samuels was forced to make changes, as injuries sustained in last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Newport (IoW) deprived him of the services of Craig Bryant and Josh Jeffrey, and he named the following side:- Bartram; O. Taylor, Ockwell, Madden, Wilson; Hawes, Holloway (C), Dunn, Moreno; Magee, Sutherden. Subs. Used: Gibson, C. Taylor, Beard & Sesay.

The game was played on a slick drizzle-soaked surface and saw Jo Sutherden give the hosts the lead in the 15th minute thanks to a goalkeeping howler. His low skimming shot from thirty yards slipped through the hands and legs of Andover stopper Hoy to creep over the line.

The visitors were finding it difficult to contain the pace and trickery of Tiago Moreno and Charlie Hawes on the wings. A jinking run and sidestep on the right-hand edge of the box allowed  Hawes to fire a shot across the goal and into the corner of the net to double Town’s advantage in the 28th minute.

Romsey were now dictating play and Hoy was at full stretch to deny Sutherden at the expense of a corner kick, that saw Tiago Moreno’s swinging effort deftly flicked over the line by George Ockwell for Town’s third goal in the 40th minute. On the stroke of half time, Johnson spurned Andover’s best chance when blasting over the bar from 12 yards.

The second half saw the visitors enjoy more possession, but Romsey comfortably kept them at bay and extended their lead in the 74th minute. Josh Gibson played a slide rule pass down the right flank to Hawes, whose pinpoint cross to the back post gave Sutherden an easy tap-in as he bagged a brace of goals on the evening.

To their credit, Andover kept going and Ethan Madden was forced to make a headed goalbound clearance before in the final minute Kapend scored a consolation goal through a crowded goalmouth.

Romsey move up to ninth in the Division One table and travel to Verwood Town tomorrow (ko 3.00pm), before making the long journey to Ash United next Tuesday evening (ko7.45pm).