Paul McCallum notched his second hat-trick of the season amid a stunning 29 National League return, but was relieved to see an assistant referee's raised flag disallow a last gasp Solihull Moors winner.

Eastleigh were 3-1 up midway through the second half when McCallum completed his hat-trick to take his overall goal tally for the season to 35, writes Mike Vimpany.

But the Spitfires were rocked by a stunning Solihull comeback which saw Jack Stevens curl the Midlanders back into the contest and substitute Tahvon Campbell come off the bench to equalise with two minutes of normal time remaining.

Deep into added time and with Eastleigh visibly tiring and hanging on, Campbell buried a header past Joe McDonnell but was adjudged to have veered into an offside position. His protests earned one of a plethora of late game yellow cards.

Spitfires boss Kelvin Davis believes "fatigue" played a part in the final stages and was perhaps to blame for letting the advantage slip.

"I still feel positive. We had a two-goal lead but we’ve watched enough of (Solihull Moors) to know what their qualities are."

The former Southampton goalkeeper feels a break until Tuesday week - when they visit high flying Barnet - gives his players a much-needed chance to fully recover and improve on the training pitch.

"They looked cooked towards the end. That shows they’re putting everything on the pitch and giving us everything. There’s no disappointment from me on that side. 

"They’ll get the recovery time but we expect in return, a fully-charged squad and a fully-charged team to work hard on the training ground and to improve on every aspect of our game.

"To be disappointed against a Solihull team that is flying high in the league is a positive sign.

"We scored three good goals and unfortunately we were not able to make that last progression in the backline and that was something that we paid the price for.

"We could have ended up with three points but they had a goal notched off for offside but on another day the linesman might have missed it. We’ll take the point and move on."

Solihull, who have contested a play-off place all season and visit Wealdstone in the FA Trophy quarter-finals on Saturday, were woeful defensively in the first half and trailed 2-0 at the break to two trademark McCallum headers.

They totally failed to deal with a 25th minute Ben Reeves set-piece, which McCallum gleefully glided past Nick Hayes.

Twelve minutes later and after McDonnell had palmed a Jamey Osborne free kick on to his own crossbar, Solihull gifted Eastleigh a second goal.

Midfielder Joe Sbarra lost possession and Enzio Boldewijn got to the right byeline to serve up McCallum's second.

The National League's top scorer thought he'd bagged a first half hat-trick when he bulleted Lee Hodson's cross into the top corner - but up went the offside flag! 

Beaten by lowly Kidderminster Harriers in midweek, Solihull upped the ante after the break and pinned a leggy Eastleigh on the back foot.

Osborne fired them back into the contest with a superb 25-yarder into the top corner and then after a succession of corners - they forced 13 in total - McDonnell brought off stunning point blank save to deny Jack Stevens.

Midway through the second half McCallum completed his hat-trick by applying the final touch to a towering far post Scott Quigley header, but even at 3-1 down the visitors were not finished.

Stevens curled a 74th minute left-foot shot past McDonnell and then, with two minutes of normal time remaining, Campbell equalised after a right-side run by the impressive Jon Benton. 

In the fourth minute of stoppage time, the Moors thought they had won the game as Campbell headed home a second goal of the game, but the striker had veered into an offside position from Benton’s cross.