After three successive defeats Winchester returned to winning ways with a 2-0 win at Basingstoke, a result which moves them up to 12th, one place and one point ahead of Basingstoke who have played five games more. 

It also completed the double against their Hampshire rivals and represented their third clean sheet of the season and despite being their sixth victory and their first on the road since beating Dorchester 4-0 in August, although this was their sixth victory on their travels in the current campaign.

Although Basingstoke have slipped from the form which saw them win five consecutive league games earlier in the season, they went into this match having won their last two league games. 

They currently play at Winklebury on the outskirts of the town having ground hared with Winchester, the last time the two clubs were in the same division.

Winchester made four changes to the starting line-up from Tuesday with Luke Cairney replacing Ryan Pryce in goal and Jordan Rose, Harry Nevins, Harry Nevins and Josh McCormick coming in for Stuart Mott, Pip Nolan and Simba Mlambo. Pryce, Mott, Nolan and Mlambo were all on on the substitutes bench which also contained Henry Brooks. Ollie Griggs moved back into midfield, but perhaps the most significant change was the centre half pairing of Rose and Nevins. Although Winchester had kept clean sheets in the first half of both of their last two games, they had conceded 10 in their last three games and had been vulnerable to set pieces in these games. Rose certainly added a bit of height at the back and he had an excellent game at the heart of the Winchester defence. 

After three successive defeats it was important for Winchester to make a reasonable start to the game and they more than did that when in the 6th minute Simon Grant could only parry an effort from Tommy Wright and Jamie Barron was able to score from an acute angle. Shortly afterwards Grant made a good save from a Rose header, while at the other end D'Andre Brown had an effort deflected wide, but there was not very much other action in the first half with Winchester looking solid and never looking like surrendering their lead in the games's first period.

However the last two games had certainly showed that keeping a first half clean sheet can count for nothing in the final analysis and with the expectation that Basingstoke would start the second half with renewed vigour, Winchester knew there was still a long way to go in the contest,  Winchester though made a good start to the second half when with a loose ball in the Basingstoke penalty area Trevor Caborn was able to fire the ball into the top corner.

After the second goal went in Basingstoke were trying to use the flanks to effect and put crosses into the box, but Winchester were defending well and getting some interceptions and blocks and sill looked capable of hitting Basingstoke on the break.  Cairney though made a couple of good saves from Liam Ferdinand at the expense of corners, to deny the former Binfield and Bracknell striker.

However as the half progressed it became increasingly unlikely that the home team could find a way back into the game. Winchester in the second half bought on Stuart Mott, Simba Mlambo and Pip Nolan to replace Harry Nevins, Tommy Wright and Jamie Barron respectively. Late on Caborn shot just over, but in the end it was another notable victory on the road for Winchester.

After Tuesday's game against Tiverton, Winchester are at home to Chesham on Saturday and at home to Swindon Supermarine the following Tuesday. 

Although a significant number of the crows of 985 were from Basingstoke, Winchester also had a good following for this match including an enthusiastic band of young fans.