Romsey Town banished their recent away day blues and enjoyed home comforts with an assured 2-0 win over Ash United at The AEC Protection Ground last Saturday. 

First half goals from defender George Ockwell and midfielder Geoff Dunn proved enough to overcome their Surrey based opponents who rarely threatened Town’s goal. 

The result moved the Bypass Boys up to tenth place in the Division One table with half the season completed.

Town boss Andy Samuels handed a full League debut to teenage ‘keeper Sam White and he repaid the gaffer with a clean sheet and some impressive distribution skills. The first half was largely a low key affair, that saw midfielder James Shorey limp out of the game in the twentieth minute to be replaced by Callum Taylor. The substitute nearly opened the scoring with his first touch as his long range shot drew a fine save from Ash’s ‘keeper. The game sprang into life shortly before the interval, when a well flighted corner from Billy Brackley was met at the back post by a close range half volley from Ockwell that netted him his third goal of the campaign.

White had to dive low to his right to smother an effort from the edge of the box by Ash’s centre forward, but it was Romsey that ended the half on top. A surging run down the right flank by full back Owen Taylor set up Dunn whose first effort was mishit but, as the ball bobbled about the area, he recovered to hook it into the net at the second attempt and double Town’s lead. 

Ash enjoyed a brief spell early in the second half when they put Town’s goal under pressure but White and the back four held firm and Romsey looked the more likely to add to their tally. Brackley and teenage full back Ben Beard combined well on the left flank to send the youngster bearing down on goal, but his finish was just wide of the upright. Development squad players Toby Bloomfield and Mark McAuley made their first team debuts as late substitutes for Town, who were able to comfortably managed proceedings to their conclusion. 

Owen Holloway, who produced a masterly display at the centre of midfield with his tenacious tackling and incisive passing, deservedly scooped the Man of the Match award. 

On Tuesday evening the freezing conditions meant the postponement of the home match against Totton & Eling and Romsey’s next league fixture is tomorrow when they travel to Whitchurch United (ko 3pm).