Hampshire fell agonisingly short in the One Day Cup final after a miraculous Leicestershire comeback.

Leicestershire secured the 2023 Metro Bank One Day Cup title with a two run victory over Hampshire at Trent Bridge in a remarkable recovery from their first innings collapse. 

Hampshire had needed 73 to win from the final 10 overs with five wickets in hand, in pursuit of 268 but fell agonisingly short as the final ball trickled to the midwicket fielder with 4 needed to win.

Liam Dawson put in a valiant 57(64) with the bat and brought up his 50 with a six over cover leaving 11 to win from two overs. However Hants were unable to find the boundary again and Dawson was caught at fine leg attempting the scoop with five to win from three balls.

Harry Swindells put on an unbeaten 117 for the Foxes as he helped his side recover from 19-4 at the end of the 7th over to post what would prove to be a match winning first innings total of 267/7. 

Hants were asked to field and Keith Barker struck with his first two overs dismissing openers Rishi Patel and Sol Budinger caught behind and at cover respectively. 

Scott Currie had the key wicket of Lewis Hill caught behind for 42. Sam Evans and Harry Swindells combined to post a defensible target in a 151 run partnership, which finally ended when Evans holed out to Joe Weatherley on the deep point boundary off Currie for 60 in the 48th over. 

In reply Fletcha Middleton was clean bowled and Nick Gubbins run out by Wiaan Mulder for 15 and 20 respectively.

Tom Prest pushed past 50, assisted by Ben Brown’s 33 and Aneurin Donalds 6 but failed to build a steady partnership as both fell caught at midwicket to Chris Wright in consecutive overs. Hants slipped to 123-4 leaving the game delicately poised.

Prest followed shortly after in a tame dismissal on 51 when he chipped a return catch back to Josh Hull. 

A sublime low catch on the square leg boundary dismissed Joe Weatherley for 40 and left the side 50 runs short with seven overs left.