Liam Livingstone led England’s recovery from 8-3 scoring an unbeaten 95 to drag his side to 226-7 from the reduced innings of 34 overs after losing the toss and batting at the Ageas Bowl. 

Reece Topley and David Willey took three wickets each to complete England’s comeback, bowling the Black Caps out for 147 and completing a 79 run victory in the second ODI against England at the Ageas Bowl.

Rain delayed the start of play until 2pm in Southampton. 

David Willey struck with the ball, early in the Kiwi reply as he snuck through bat and pad and knocked over Finn Allen’s middle stump. 

Opener Devon Conway successfully reviewed a caught-behind decision but walked two overs later as Gus Atkinson found his edge through to Butler for 14.

Atkinson nearly had a second as Daryl Mitchell successfully reviewed a vicious short ball which brushed his wrist in front of his face but narrowly missed his glove. 

Willey dismissed Will Young for 33 when he ran the batter out by no more than two centimetres with a rapid flying underarm from mid-off. 

England were in the ascendancy with two new batters at the crease and the score on 55-3. 

Tom Latham and Mitchell put on 56 for the 4th wicket until Topley broke the partnership as he found Latham’s outside edge. 

Topley added the wicket of Glenn Phillips for two as the batter pushed a return catch taken in front of the bowler’s knee. A third quickly followed as Rachin Ravindra was caught driving to slip with his second ball.

Moeen Ali took two wickets in the 26th over including the vital wicket of Mitchell caught at mid-off for 57. Mitchell Santner followed, caught at short third man. 

The ninth and tenth wickets fell the next over as Tim Southee holed out to deep midwicket from Willey and Trent Boult was caught at mid-on to complete England’s victory.

The hosts had been in serious trouble at 55-5 in the 13th over, when Ali and Livingstone set about building a recovery partnership. Ali produced the shot of the day as he hit Ravindra, for a massive six over the midwicket boundary, clearing the crowd.

Ali fell shortly after for 33 as he skewed the ball up in the air to cover where Phillips took a blinding catch flying horizontal as he sprinted round from backward point.  

Sam Curran combined with Livingstone to post a competitive score adding 112 for the 7th wicket. Curran was caught for 42 at short third man as he attempted to scoop Southee with 4 balls remaining in the first innings.

Liam Livingstone finished top scoring with 95*(78) including nine fours and one six. 

Bairstow was out early in the first innings as he attempted to whip the ball through mid-wicket. The ball shot off the leading edge of the bat as Santner took an exceptional catch flying at full stretch to take a one handed grab above his head. 

Joe Root departed the crease after 2 balls as Boult darted a full delivery into Root’s pad, shown to be crashing into leg stump. 

Boult was given a third wicket by Ben Stokes, who danced down the wicket, chipping the ball straight to mid-off, departing for just 1 run.

England slipped to 28-4 when Harry Brook was dismissed for just 1(11). The opener was caught off the bowling of Henry as his mis-queued shot flew high off his leading edge to mid-on. 

England captain Jos Butler’s counter attack was cut short when he chopped onto his stumps attempting to pump Santner over the covers for 30(25).