ON A day that was not a good one for teams in the Southern League Division 1 South - with 10 already out of the competition and two facing replays - Winchester lost 3-1 to Chichester City in the first preliminary qualifying round of the FA Cup.

It was the first time City had lost at this stage of the Cup since 2011/12.

Chichester City, who play in the Isthmian League at the same level as Winchester, were tough opponents for this stage of the competition and in 2019/20 they attracted national attention by reaching the second round proper of this competition as a result of having a bye in the first round proper.

The clubs previously met in the FA Cup in 1955/56 at a time when Terry Paine was just beginning his career with Winchester, with Winchester winning a replay.

For this encounter though Winchester made two changes to the starting line-up from the abandoned game at Slimbridge, with Dan Bradshaw and Oli Bailey coming in for Ollie Griggs and Greg Peel who dropped to the bench.

Bailey had replaced Griggs at half time at Slimbridge.

Winchester made a poor start to the tie, with Scott Jones heading home a corner in the second minute. Shortly after the goal, a powerful shot by Dan Bradshaw was just over.

However in the 10th minute they conceded a second when Ethan Pritchard got on the end of a cross from the left.

At that stage Chichester were using the flanks well and were not afraid to shoot from distance.

Charlie Philpott in the Winchester goal had to make a save from Gicu Iordache.

However as the half progressed Winchester came more into the game.

They forced Chichester into making some important blocks and they were desperately unlucky not to score when Oli Bailey hit the post and the ball rebounded into the grateful arms of goalkeeper Kieran Magee.

Magee made an excellent save from Max Smith and he also made important saves from Simba Mlambo and Max Smith. Chichester always looked dangerous on the break, but Winchester certainly ended the first half in the ascendancy.

Winchester continued to press in the second half and the Chichester goalkeeper made a good save from Oli Bailey, but despite this they were not finding it easy to create clear cut chances as Chichester looked solid at the back. Winchester made three substitutions with Adam Grange, Greg Peel and Joe Hayward all entering the fray. They however got a lifeline in the 73rd minute when Josh McCormick was fouled and Ollie Balmer converted the resulting penalty.

Josh McCormick then put in a cross that eluded everyone and Adam Grange had a shot saved as Winchester pushed forward in search of an equalizer. However in the 83rd minute Iordache made the game safe when he scored with a low shot. McCormick forced a couple of saves from Magee and the Winchester goalkeeper tipped a Dan King cross behind for a corner, but Winchester had given them too much to do.

On Saturday Winchester are at home to Evesham and on Bank Holiday Monday are away to Sholing.