Romsey suffered the double blow of a cup exit and league defeat in the space of four days as the lengthy list of first team players requiring the treatment table finally took its toll on results.

Last Saturday Town’s FA Vase journey was emphatically derailed by Ringwood Town who ran out 5-1 victors before boss Adam Pullinger’s patched up squad suffered a 3-1 league defeat to United Services Portsmouth on Tuesday evening, writes Tony Galsworthy.

Town went into their FA Vase tie with Ringwood Town with hopes high and these were only increased when the visitors ‘keeper was shown the red card after seven minutes for handling the ball outside the penalty area. However, the hosts could not take advantage of playing with an extra man and the first half ended 0-0. Shortly after the break, and as much to their surprise as that of the near 250 strong crowd, Ringwood had a two goal lead.

First, Kieran Hancock was dispossessed near his penalty area allowing Lyndon Taylor to set up Ryan Hamm to score and then Shaun Prentice raced down the left flank leaving defenders in his wake before unleashing an unstoppable shot int the top corner from 20 yards. Town briefly reacted to this setback and Hancock scored with a header from a Rowthorn free kick.

However, this proved to be false dawn for despite having the lion’s share of possession Town struggled to fashion clear cut chances and In the last ten minutes, Town were hit on the counter attack three times. A three-man back line was woefully exposed for pace as first Morgan Cole scored and then Hamm completed his hat-trick.

Town had a further setback when injuries to Rattley, Hancock, Elezi and Dunn ruled them out of Tuesday night’s visit by USP.

Fresh from an impressive win at Premier Division AFC Portchester at the weekend, USP raced into a three goals lead within half an hour. Goals from Dec Seiden, Josh Hazell and Tom Cain had the Bypass boys reeling but they regained their composure and to score a fine team goal. A raking pass out defence from skipper Craig Bryant found George Callard on the left flank who beat his marker and crossed the ball hard and low for Liam Magee to crash it into the net when the ‘keeper pushed it into his path.

The second half was a far more even affair and Town stirred hopes of a comeback when Magee smashed an effort against the bar and Sam Adams went close with a headed effort from a corner. A bad foul by John Cass on Town sub Jake Burgess, saw both men see red as Burgess retaliated. Notwithstanding Town pouring forward, USP’s back line held firm though and the visitors came away with all three points.

Romsey now have 11 days off, before travelling to Alton on Saturday for a Division One fixture.