Felix Organ spun Hampshire to their first Specsavers County Championship win in eight games with his maiden five-wicket haul, writes Alex Smith.

The part-time off-spinner celebrated figures of five for 25 in his fifth first-class appearance– having only come on to bowl after the umpires declared it too dark for fast bowling.

Organ, who had scored a half-century with the bat earlier in the match, found good turn, dismissing Ben Foakes, Jamie Smith, Rikki Clarke, Conor McKerr and Jordan Clark as Surrey were skittled for 151.

Hampshire, who hadn’t tasted Championship victory since winning on the Isle of Wight in May, took 21 points to reigning champion Surrey’s three – although both sides were safe from relegation ahead of this meeting, with no hope of challenging for the title.

It was also Hampshire’s first victory over Surrey at the Ageas Bowl.

Surrey were given an imposing target of 424 in the best part of five sessions, knowing a solid start was needed to give them any hope of victory.

But that didn’t come as Keith Barker struck with his first delivery, the seventh of the innings, when Dean Elgar was caught behind off the face of the bat while attempting to leave.

In the fifth over, Kyle Abbott found Scott Borthwick attempting a straight drive but a slight nip away off the seam saw another nick through to Lewis McManus’ gloves.

That left the visitors 12-2, and it became 37-3 six overs later as Mark Stoneman walked across his stumps and Ian Holland dislodged his leg stump.

Ollie Pope caressed a fine 40 but he too edged Abbott behind – the England hopeful furious with his nothing shot as he trudged back to the dressing room.

As bad light descended on the Ageas Bowl, the umpires advised that play could only continue with slow bowling from both ends, which Organ used to his advantage.

The 20-year-old off-spinner wouldn’t have been too proud of the long hop that Foakes lunged to Sam Northeast at mid-wicket but beautifully deceived Smith before McManus stumped him.

Organ then lured Clarke into a hoick, which picked out Holland at deep midwicket, and McKerr was lbw.

Clark top-edged to Fidel Edwards to give Organ his fifth and Liam Dawson castled Morne Morkel for his 200th first-class wicket to wrap up victory inside three days.

Earlier, McManus and Dawson both completed half-centuries as Hampshire extended their lead with 100 day-three runs.

Dawson, 39 overnight, reached the milestone first from 82 balls, before McManus followed in two deliveries more – the pair putting on 117 for the seventh wicket.

The duo were both dropped, McManus on 21 at gully and Dawson on 78 at cover, before the second new ball dismissed them.

The former brilliantly caught by Ollie Pope at gully 61 while the latter moved to 88 before he was snaffled by Rikki Clarke at first slip.

Barker and Abbott scored 16 and 18 runs respectively to see the tail wag – but both departed, caught behind and stumped, to round off the innings.

Organ said: “It all happened quite quickly at the end but on day one we knew there was going to be a result and we were quite comfortable with where we were in the game.

“We thought the pitch would get worse but it got better and the rate we scored at on day two allowed us to put a lot of pressure on them with the ball. It all came together today and we bowled well for a good win.

“The light got bad so we had to bowl spin. The first wicket was a bit of a drag down but it suddenly came together. The next thing I know I have five! It was crazy, I still can’t believe I’ve got all these wickets.”