IT was lucky that the occupants were awake at the time.

That is the message from a watch manager at Winchester Fire Station after firefighters were called to a fire at a thatched cottage in Micheldever.

The fire which broke out at midnight, happened at a cottage off Winchester Road, Micheldever.

Fortunately firefighters managed to get the fire which broke out in the kitchen out before it could spread.

However, the owners of the cottage did not have working smoke detectors which meant if they were asleep the fire could have been far more serious.

Watch manager at Winchester Fire Station, Mark Compton said: "We had a call which was towards Mitcheldever. It was a small fire in the kitchen where a cooker hood was alight at a thatched cottage.

"Luckily it was limited to the cooker hood and we managed to extinguish it with a hose reel and two breathing apparatus.

"I think the occupants were awake and noticed the fire and called us immediately, but they did not have working smoke detectors.

"If they were not awake it could have been much more serious."

Mr Compton said all owners of thatched cottages should make sure they get an information pack about how to keep their property safe, these are provided by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service.

He added that homeowners should make sure to get a working smoke detector.

Two fire engines from Winchester Fire Station were called to the scene, and they left at about 12.30am.