Going on holiday is often an exciting time but it can also be stressful when you forget or lose something or even have it stolen.

There’s lots to remember when going on holiday from packing your best outfits to looking after your passport and boarding passes.

But if you were to lose your passport or have it stolen, would you know what to do?

Here are the steps you should take if your passport is either lost or stolen, according to the government website.

Hampshire Chronicle: People who lose their passport or have it stolen must report as soon as possiblePeople who lose their passport or have it stolen must report as soon as possible (Image: Getty Images)

What to do if your passport is lost or stolen

If you lose your passport or it is stolen, you need to cancel it as soon as you can to reduce anyone trying to use the passport or your identity.

A person can report a passport lost or stolen on behalf of someone else if they’re not able to do it for themselves.

The government website tells you what you should do if you’re abroad or in the UK when your passport has been lost or stolen.

Passport photo rules


You will need to cancel your passport online immediately when abroad if it is lost or stolen.

If you need help cancelling your passport, you can contact the Passport Adviceline.

Those who don’t need to travel urgently can apply for a replacement passport from the country they’re in.

If travelling within the next six weeks, an emergency travel document could be an option. You will need to pay a fee to apply for this.

Items you can't take in hand luggage

When organising this emergency travel document, you won’t need to also report your passport as lost or stolen online as it’s part of the application process for the emergency travel document.

You can find out more about the emergency travel document and how to apply via the government website.

Recommended reading:

In the UK

If you’re in the UK, you can cancel your passport online immediately.

To do this, you’ll need to give a UK mobile number but if you don’t have one, an email address or landline number can be given instead.

If you want to get a new passport, you will need to apply for a replacement.

The Passport Adviceline is available if you need help with the process.