WARG, the Winchester archaeology and local history group, is holding an open day next weekend.

It will be at St Elizabeth’s Mead, College Walk, on Sunday August 7 between 10.30am and 4pm.

WARG is digging St Elizabeth’s Chapel on Winchester College land.

The chapel was built around 1300 and demolished around 1540.

The objective of the dig is to confirm the position of the chapel and try to understand something of its historical context.

On August 7 there will be an opportunity to see the dig in progress and to share in what WARG is learning about an interesting medieval building. All ages are welcome. Stout footwear is advised.