Hampshire County Council says that it has no legal powers to reverse the planning permission granted to Cala Homes that allows them to close Andover Road to through traffic and divert that traffic through the Kings Barton estate (Hampshire Chronicle, June 27). 

I am sure that this is the case but surely granting permission does not compel Cala Homes to do what that permission allows. 

It merely allows them to do so. No doubt there would be a significant cost to implementing that change so are not Cala Homes at all receptive to the widespread concern and objections to this change? 

Why cannot these concerns and objections be reiterated to Cala Homes by both Hampshire County Council and Winchester City Council with a strong request that that part of the planning permission not be fulfilled? 

The financial savings might well provide a strong incentive to accept such a request. 

David Hughes,
Downlands Way, 
South Wonston

Send letters by email to newsdesk@hampshirechronicle.co.uk or by post to Editor, Hampshire Chronicle, 5 Upper Brook Street, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8AL.

All letters and e-mails must include full names and addresses (anonymous letters will not be published), although these details may be withheld from publication, on request.

Letters of 300 words or less will be given priority, although all are subject to editing for reasons of clarity, space, or legal requirements. We reserve the right to edit letters.