The family of a motorcyclist who died on a Southampton road have said they will "always keep his memory alive".

An emotional tribute was paid to 19-year-old George Milton, who died on Portswood Road on August 14 after he crashed his motorbike into a lampost, at the end of the inquest into his death.

In a statement read out at Winchester Coroner's Court, the Eastleigh teenager's family described him as a "gentle giant" with a "heart of gold".

The former lifeguard, who had ADHD and autism, trained to become a security guard which his family said made them "very proud".

Their statement said: "It's hard to describe George as he was just George. One of a kind, gentle giant and a heart of gold who lived life to the max.

"He was generous, loving and always himself and achieved so much in a short time and we are very proud of his accomplishments."

The inquest at Winchester Coroner's Court heard how George crashed while on his blue Yamaha bike.

He had been travelling home after a birthday party at Café Parfait on Above Bar Street in Southampton.

Hampshire Chronicle: Scene of the crash on Portswood RoadScene of the crash on Portswood Road (Image: Newsquest)

Senior coroner Christopher Wilkinson told Winchester Coroner's Court how George had arrived at the venue at around half past midnight on August 14 last year to join a group of friends.

The group had a lot to drink, and at one point George handed out Jägerbombs to friends, the inquest told.

George’s friends tried to offer him a taxi but he turned this down saying he needed to get home to Hamilton Road, Eastleigh, as he had agreed to meet another friend Bethany Cox.

He then left the area of Charlotte Place and rode his motorbike home but on the way he FaceTimed Bethany, saying he was having trouble starting up his motorbike.

During this time, George sent Bethany messages saying he would be home in 15 minutes.

CCTV recorded the security guard on his motorbike on Portswood Road later that evening.

According to police analysis, he was riding his bike at around 60mph – twice the speed limit.

Coroner Mr Wilkinson said: “It’s clear from the footage that George had been driving erratically.”

Forensic Collision Investigator Michael Toy said George had 145 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80.

The court was told that while riding on Portswood Road, George lost control of his Yamaha motorcycle before crashing into the lamppost.

George sustained serious chest and spinal injuries which would have caused him to “die instantaneously”, coroner Mr Wilkinson said.

Mr Wilkinson told the family: “I can only hope that you remember George for who he was and someone who was caring as we previously heard.”

He ruled that George died as a result of injuries from the crash and that alcohol played a major factor in the accident.