A FORMER Mayor of Winchester charged with the attempted murder of his mother told police he 'passed her into the next world', a court heard.

David McLean, 72, denies the charge of the attempted murder of Margaret McLean, 92.

On the second day of the trial at Winchester Crown Court, the jury was shown body worn footage recorded by police at Mrs McLean's home in Chase Grove, Waltham Chase, near Bishop's Waltham.

Police attended in the early hours of October 7 2022 after McLean called the NHS helpline 111 to admit what he had done. PC Philip Lindsey gave evidence.

In the video clip shown to the jury, McLean said: “My mother is dead. She's been dying for the last two weeks. She was drowning in her own snot.”

READ MORE: Former mayor tried to murder dying mother by smothering her with a cushion

Hampshire Chronicle: Winchester Crown Court

Speaking to McLean, PC Lindsey said: “We are concerned with the call you made to 111.”

McLean, of Morley Drive, Bishop's Waltham, said: “I passed my mother into the next world with a cushion on her face. I had to choose, but I accept what I did. I'm sorry.”

PC Lindsey then arrested the former mayor. Later in the footage, McLean added: “I wanted to see her through to the morning. But when I saw her drowning, I couldn't cope. She's my mother, she has helped me with everything I have done in my life. I had to put her out of her misery. 

“It was a mercy killing. S**t happens guys, I hope you never get into this situation.”

He added: “I feel happy. That will probably get me locked up for ever, but there you go.”

Sarah Jones KC, defending, asked PC Lindsey in cross examination if he could recall the cushion McLean pointed to. He said he couldn't recall exactly, but was being cautious to make sure the proper processes were followed. 

PC Lindsey said: “I have been to a lot of sudden deaths. I have never been to one like this with someone at scene, telling me they have done it.”

The trial before a jury of eight men and four women is expected to last at least two weeks.