A ROMSEY man died after choking on food at his home, an inquest heard.

Arthur Sutherland, of Priestlands, died on February 5.

The inquest heard that Mr Sutherland, 86, had been eating a meal at home with his wife Christine when he started to choke on a piece of lamb.

Paramedics were called to the scene and after it had been removed, it was agreed to stop attempts to resuscitate him.

A family statement was read out by senior coroner Christopher Wilkinson at the inquest in Winchester Coroner's Court on August 1.

READ MORE: What happens at an inquest and what can the press report?

It said: “Arthur and Christine moved to Romsey in 2019. He worked in law and was fit throughout his life, rarely visiting the doctor.

“He walked everywhere, having never learned to drive. Arthur was a family man and loved spending time with them. He had a legendary sense of humour.

“He maintained a healthy appetite until he died.”

The inquest heard that Mr Sutherland was given CPR by paramedics when they arrived at the house. However, it was eventually agreed with the family to stop attempts to resuscitate him.

Mr Wilkinson gave the causes of death as hypoxia due to choking on meat.

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support.

Subscribing means you have unrestricted access to the latest news and reader rewards - all with an advertising-light website.

Don't take my word for it – subscribe here to see for yourself.

Looking to advertise an event? Then check out our free events guide.

Want to keep up with the latest news and join in the debate? You can find and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.