A MAN attacked a passer-by who intervened in a drunken late-night fight in Winchester city centre.

Billy Wiltshire, of Sandyfields Lane, Colden Common, appeared at Winchester Crown Court charged with two counts of actual bodily harm and one count of assault by beating.

A trial started on Monday, June 13 and today (June 14) Wiltshire, who denied all charges, was found guilty of actual bodily harm to James Clarke.

READ MORE: Billy Wiltshire accused of assaulting three people in Winchester, court hears as trial starts at Winchester Crown Court

He was also found not guilty of causing actual bodily harm to his ex-partner Paige Hicks.

The jury had not decided on its verdict on the count of assault by beating on Christopher Doy and is expected to return a verdict on June 15.

On the second day of the trial, the court heard from Mr Clarke, who had been on a night out in the city centre, leaving early due to work commitments.

As he approached the area, Mr Clarke said he heard a 'high-pitched scream'.

Mr Clarke said: “At first I thought it was my music, but then I heard an argument and a female voice.”

He told the jury that the female was on the ground.

Mr Clarke said: “Shortly after, the female stood up and walked passed me. I asked her if she was ok, but she didn't acknowledge me.

“After this, I turned away. I heard a shout from down the alleyway say 'oi you'. This caught me off guard. He punched me in the face and elbow.”

Detective constable Finn Hunter, from Hampshire Constabulary, told the jury that Wiltshire was arrested in Alfie's in High Street at 1.15am.

Defence barrister Francisca Da Costa began by asking Wiltshire, 27, where he had been on his night out.

He said that he and Miss Hicks plus two others had been to Wetherspoon, Green's, the Royal Oak and Pitcher and Piano.

Wiltshire described Miss Hicks as being 'extremely drunk' by the end of the evening. Miss Hicks left the group to go home and called Wiltshire's phone shortly after.

Wiltshire said: "She called me to give her a lift home. I was too drunk, but said I would walk up and get her a taxi."

He told the jury that he gave Miss Hicks £10 for a taxi, and then went back into the city centre.

SEE ALSO: Mother frustrated at disabled daughter's treatment at secondary school

After this, Miss Hicks called Wiltshire again. He said: "She sounded very distressed."

Wiltshire said he was angry when he got to Miss Hicks which resulted in an argument.

Wiltshire said: "I was shouting and calling her foul names and vice versa."

Wiltshire told the jury that a member of the public came to see what was happening and that he punched him in defence.

He said: "One lad came over as she was upset. He grabbed hold of her, so then I punched him."

In the cross-examination, Wiltshire told Robert Welling, prosecuting, that: "All I can remember is punching one person.

"If I was sober, I would have pushed him, not punched him."


Message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story. We really appreciate your support.

Please help us to continue bringing you all the trusted news from your area by sharing this story or by following our Facebook page.