A DOG died in a kitchen fire at a house in a Meon Valley village this morning.

Firefighters tackled the flames and smoke at a property in Reed Close, Swanmore, near Bishop's Waltham, from shortly after 5am.

Two dogs were rescued from the terraced house but one later died, said the fire service.

The cause of the fire was unavailable. The crews were at the incident until 7.05am.

A Hampshire fire service spokesman said: "We were called at 5.08am this morning following a report of a kitchen fire in Reed Close, Swanmore.

"Smoke could be seen coming from the terraced house and fire crews from Bishop’s Waltham, Droxford and Botley attended.

"One of our animal rescue advisors was also at the scene and two dogs were taken to a local vet, one of which has sadly died."

He said firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets and a ventilation fan to tackle the incident.

A thermal imaging camera was used to check that there were no hot-spots in adjoining properties.

South Central Ambulance Service were in attendance but it was unclear if anyone was hurt.