A WOMAN is fighting for her life after a kitchen incident at a property in Winchester this evening.

Ambulance crews battled outside a property in Highcliffe, to save the life of a woman who has been rushed to hospital.

Firefighters at the scene said there had been no fire and they believe a woman was overcome by fumes when cooking in her kitchen. No further details were available.

Hampshire Chronicle:

The incident sparked a major response from the emergency services. A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 5.19pm to Milland Road to a fire.

"We have sent two ambulance crews, the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) of paramedics, an ambulance officer and BASICS (British Association for Immediate Care) members.

"They have been assessing one patient in a life-threatening condition who has been taken by land ambulance to the Royal Hampshire County Hospital."

The police were also at the scene but officers referred the Chronicle to the press office.

Additional reporting: Toby Oliver