An event to say goodbye to one of Winchester's last convenience stores is taking place next week.

A Farewell to the Hyde Newsagency will be held at the Hyde Tavern on October 25.

The shop opened as a confectionary business and tobacconist in 1894 by James Burfitt.

It was then acquired by Edith Best in 1925 and was managed by her son Leonard and then by his son, Eric.

The shop, which is at 34 Hyde Street, was closed during the war and when it reopened, it became a newsagency.