HUNDREDS of pounds have been raised for a family after a chip pan fire destroyed parts of their home in Colden Common.

Five fire engines from Winchester, Bishop’s Waltham and Eastleigh were called to Badgers Bolt at 7.28pm last night to reports of smoke and flames.

The kitchen was destroyed in the blaze and the rest of the house suffered significant smoke damage.

One person was taken to hospital for treatment after they suffered smoke inhalation and burns on one hand.

A fundraising page has been set up for the family, which has raised more than £800 of its £1,500 target.

The GoFundMe was set up by Angie Louth and Kate Featherstone-Coombes just hours after the fire.

The organisers said on the page: “Earlier this evening (17/05/21) a good friend and our neighbour's house caught fire. She is a single mother of 3 young children. Fortunately they all got out with their lives but have lost most of their possessions and furniture and do not yet know if they will lose their home as well.

“With no contents insurance to fall back on they face a long and challenging road back to normality, in a period where things have been so hard already.

“I am reaching out to our amazing community to come together at this tragic time to help and support a family and mother in dire need. Any form of donation, from pennies you can spare to furniture, clothing and goods etc will be much appreciated and a huge help.”

To donate, go to

Following the blaze, a fire service spokesperson said: “Five fire engines from Eastleigh, Winchester and Bishops Waltham fire stations were called to a chip pan fire in Colden Common.

“Smoke and flames were reported to the HIWFRS Control Room as firefighters were mobilised at 19:28 to Badgers Bolt.

Crews extinguished the fire using six sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two main jets and ventilation fans to clear smoke.

“The kitchen was destroyed in the blaze, with the remainder of the semi-detached property suffering significant smoke damage.

“One casualty was taken to hospital for treatment after suffering smoke inhalation and burns on one hand.

“Firefighters left the scene following the stop message at 20:29.

“If you are using a chip pan, don’t leave it unattended and if it catches fire, never use water to extinguish it.”