Dramatic video footage of the dangers of a Christmas tree igniting in your home have been released.

The footage comes from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, but has now been distributed across the country to show the speed of what can happen if a tree was accidentally set on fire.

The footage shows a real tree which has been in a dry warm home for several days catching fire and within 10 seconds the whole of the room is completely engulfed in fire - 47 seconds later the screen goes blank as the room is totally enveloped in smoke and flames. Even if a person was awake in the room they probably would not have been able to escape.