A MAN has died following a railway accident involving a piece of machinery.

A 53-year-old railway worker has died after being injured using a piece of machinery in Eastleigh.

Paramedics raced to the railway depot in Dutton Lane shortly before 3pm on Monday.

However, despite their best efforts he was pronounced dead at the scene.

His family have been informed.

A man in his forties was arrested in connection with the incident and taken into police custody for questioning.

However, he has now been released pending further enquiries.

Detectives at British Transport Police have now launched an investigation.

A BTP spokesperson said: "Officers were called to Eastleigh Railway Depot at 2.50pm following reports that a railway worker had become injured while using a piece of machinery.

"Officers are currently working alongside the Health and Safety Executive to establish the full circumstances behind the railway worker’s death."

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Langley added: “This is a tragic incident and our deepest condolences are with the man’s family who are being supported by specially trained officers.

"A full and thorough investigation into the incident is now underway, alongside the Health and Safety Executive, to establish exactly what happened to lead to this railway worker’s sad death.

"I would like to appeal to anyone who thinks they may have useful information to get in touch with us by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 229 of 30 November.”

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of transport union TSSA, said the union had passed on its condolences to the worker's family and said: "This is a sad reminder of the need for rigorously safe working practices at all times across our railways and all of our workplaces."

Andrew Haines, Network Rail chief executive, said: "With great sadness, I can confirm a Network Rail colleague lost their life at our Eastleigh long welded rail depot yesterday afternoon. We’re working with the British Transport Police to understand what happened, and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed. As soon as we can say more we will do so, but our thoughts are with the family and friends of our colleague at this difficult time.”