SOME train services have resumed at Eastleigh Station following last week's derailment, but disruption is estimated to continue for weeks.

The emergency repair work was completed on Monday but Network Rail have estimated that it will "take weeks" before normality is restored as several services are still unable to stop at the station.

After the six 52-tonne freight wagons derailed from the tracks last Tuesday, irreparable damage was done to several sets of points, which allow trains to cross from one track to another, and the rail company have said it was "quicker" to take them out completely and make new points off site, which has impacted Southbound trains from stopping at Eastleigh.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: "While most of the equipment can be replaced, the points at Eastleigh were so badly damaged, including the rails themselves, it was quicker for us to take them out completely and get the railway open for business. We will have to build new sets of points off site to a bespoke design for the layout, and deliver them to site on tilting wagons. We will then cut into the track at Eastleigh again and install them with a crane.

"At a rough estimate, it will take weeks, but as soon as we know more we will share it. We will obviously push and do everything possible for it to be restored for passengers."

SWR have released travel information and have said that only trains heading from the Southampton direction towards London will be able to call at Eastleigh.

Trains heading towards Southampton from the Basingstoke area, as well as trains from Romsey to Salisbury cannot call at the station.

Passengers heading south from the London, Basingstoke or Winchester direction will either have to travel to Southampton Airport Parkway and then catch a northbound service to Eastleigh, or travel on a Portsmouth Harbour/Portsmouth and Southsea via Basingstoke service.

While Passengers at Eastleigh wishing to travel to Southampton/Bournemouth/Weymouth should go to Winchester and catch a southbound service.

The freight train derailment incident is still be investigated and the cause is currently unknown.