A MAN who had been sent home from a family holiday after flying into violent rage killed himself with his partner’s shotgun following a police siege.

Winchester Coroner’s Court heard how Paul Smart, 37, had tried to strangle the teenage daughter of Olivia Massingham, his partner of six years, at an airport in Gran Canaria.

He was sent home on his own by police while the others remained on holiday.

A week later armed police were called to the family house in Durley where they found Mr Smart dead.

Regarding the airport incident, the inquest heard that Mr Smart had become increasingly agitated as the plane came in to land in Gran Canaria and had said he felt trapped.

Ms Massingham said: “My daughter was very upset and shaking. He started shouting at her. She ran out of the airport, then he said he was going to teach her a lesson he should have done years ago.”

Ms Massingham said she chased after them and when she caught up with Mr Smart he had his hands around her daughter’s throat and was hurling a tirade of abuse at her.

The inquest heard that after the airport incident Mr Smart’s mental state grew worse and he sent a message to Ms Massingham saying “if you don’t reply to this I’m dead” and “I have your gun”.

Officers were called to the family home in Durley on August 27 last year over concerns for his welfare, and PCSO Steven Sharp, who was sent to the property, said Mr Smart had locked himself in the house.

Mr Smart could be heard smashing items inside before a thud was heard from the first floor of the property.

Police were then informed that Mr Smart had a shotgun, taken after breaking into a locked cabinet, and armed units were sent for.

After negotiators failed to receive a reply from Mr Smart, a unit was sent into the house and found his body in the master bedroom.

A post-mortem report from Dr Balvinder Shoker revealed that Mr Smart had died from a single gunshot wound to the head.

Ms Massingham said: “The inquest and its findings were a devastating reminder of how mental health problems can lead to such tragic outcomes, so many lives affected and not enough support or funding to help people when required.

“Paul was very ill and a danger to himself and possibly others, which is why the emergency services were called to help him. My priority was the safety of my daughter.”

Senior coroner Grahame Short said he believed that the police’s actions ultimately made no difference as it was a “deliberate, premeditated act”.

Mr Short concluded that Mr Smart’s death was the result of suicide.