Suarez claims he "lost his balance"

Luis Suarez has appealed the punishment handed to him by FIFA (AP)

Luis Suarez has been banned for nine games and four months

First published in National Sport News © by

Luis Suarez's defence against a charge of biting an opponent was that he lost his balance and hit his face on Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder, it has emerged.

His claims, which were dismissed by FIFA's disciplinary committee, are contained in the full written reasons of the ruling, a copy of which has been seen by Press Association Sport.

Suarez said in his submission: "After the impact I lost my balance, that destabilised me and I fell on top of my opponent.

"At this moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth and that's why the referee stopped the match.

"That is what happened and in no way was there any case of biting or intending to bite."

The seven-man disciplinary panel dismissed his arguments and imposed a four-month ban from all football, plus nine international matches and a 100,000 Swiss francs fine (approximately £65,000).

The panel's ruling stated: "The commission took into account that the offence was made directly against a player while the ball was not in dispute and that the offence was deliberate and intentional and without provocation.

"He bit the player with the intention of wounding him or at least of destabilising him.

"In such context the committee observes that the player had been sanctioned on previous occasions in club competition for similar acts."

FIFA has been formally informed of the Uruguay FA's intention to appeal against the sanctions on Suarez.

The Uruguay football federation will now have a further seven days to prepare the paperwork for the appeal.

FIFA head of media Delia Fischer told a news conference in Rio de Janeiro: "We have received a declaration that they are planning to appeal. They informed us of their intention to appeal yesterday evening.

"The reasons for the appeal must now be given in writing within a deadline of seven days after the three days has expired."

The Liverpool striker has left the World Cup in Brazil and returned to Uruguay.

On Friday, Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez suggested the English media were to blame for the "excessive" sanction and announced he was standing down from his role on FIFA's Technical Study Group because he thought the World Cup record ban was too harsh.

The ruling also points out Suarez showed no remorse.

It added in paragraph 29: "The disciplinary commission observed that the player at no moment showed regret or remorse of any type nor did he admit a violation of any FIFA rule and therefore in general he did not show any consciousness of having committed any offence."

Suarez, who was given a hero's welcome his return to Uruguay, issued a message of thanks to his supporters on Saturday.

He said on Twitter: "Hello everyone. I'm writing this message to give my thanks for all the displays of support and kindness that I am receiving. Both me and my family are grateful for them.

"Thanks a lot for being at my side and I want us all today to support my team-mates from the national side for the game against Colombia."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree