Martin Guptill made a battling 81 as New Zealand beat West Indies by 58 runs via the Duckworth-Lewis Method in the first ever one-day international in Nelson.

Guptill started painfully slowly but eventually found his rhythm, leaving others to up the run rate with Jesse Ryder, Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor all getting out in the 40s as the Black Caps posted 285 for six.

In response, Lendl Simmons and Dwayne Bravo both made 43, the latter's unbeaten, but the tourists never recovered from losing both openers for ducks and were 134 for five when rain brought a premature halt to proceedings after 33.4 overs, leaving New Zealand 2-1 up in the series with one to play.

After the hosts won the toss, Ryder was dropped twice off the luckless Jason Holder, most notably a regulation caught-behind opportunity spilled by Denesh Ramdin, but he made the most of his luck with a series of boundaries, in particular off the wayward Tino Best.

He went for 47 though when Bravo - the other man to drop him - found the edge and this time Ramdin made no mistake.

Guptill had been struggling at the other end, batting out two maidens against Holder, but he stamped his authority on the game by driving Bravo for six off the 41st ball he had faced, moving on to 14.

With the spinners on progress remained slow until Guptill and Williamson took 13 off one Sunil Narine over, including a boundary apiece.

Williamson was content to deal mainly in ones and twos, and amassed 47 with a minimum of fuss before top-edging an attempted pull off the returning Best.

Guptill nudged past 50 off 95 balls, then hit a sequence of four-six-four off Best in the first over of the batting powerplay, but just as he was upping the rate he holed out to long-off off the deserving Holder.

Taylor then added some cheap runs late on before being run out one short of 50, and Corey Anderson - scorer of the fastest ever ODI ton in the last game - smashed the last ball of the innings for six, leaving some to wonder why he had not come in earlier.

It mattered little though - Chadwick Walton was run out within four balls of the tourists' response and Johnson Charles followed soon after, picking out long-leg off Mitchell McClenaghan after facing 14 balls without scoring.

Kirk Edwards put on 60 with Simmons before becoming the second run-out victim of the innings, then when Simmons was caught in the deep for 43 it was left to Bravo to lead the recovery.

He was 43 not out when the rain came, but having struggled to score at a quick rate his side were well out the running by then.