When news happens, text CHRON and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email & phone.
Tough times for Coleman
Wales manager Chris Coleman appears increasingly alienated from his employers at the Football Association of Wales, with the spectre of Craig Bellamy lingering over him.
Coleman's future as Wales boss is uncertain, despite reaching a verbal agreement with Football Association of Wales chiefs over a two-year contract extension prior to last month's fixtures against the Macedonians and Serbia.
Back-to-back defeats dropped Wales to the bottom of World Cup qualifying Group A, and the FAW chose to instead assess performances as the Dragons wrap up their campaign at home to Macedonia and away to Belgium.
Coleman has voiced his irritation at the situation. But his chances of finishing the group on a positive note and improving a record of just three wins in 13 games have all but been derailed by a staggering injury list which has seen 10 players withdraw from his original 23-man squad.
Adding to his discomfort has been the speed with which Bellamy has emerged as a contender to succeed him.
The World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Belgium will bring down the curtain on the 34-year-old's on-field international career.
Should Coleman leave his position, the likes of Tony Pulis and Ryan Giggs would be high on any FAW wishlist, but Bellamy's is another name under consideration.
Press Association Sport understands the Cardiff player is not short of backing within the FAW, and has already completed his UEFA 'A' licence.
Speaking ahead of Friday's game against Macedonia, Coleman said he would only continue in the job with the full backing of the FAW.
But their request he change his backroom staff would suggest their support is not as unequivocal as he would like.
"You do need [the complete backing of the Welsh FA], if people are talking about judging me on these two games, then what's the point? You can't go about it like that," he said.
"I have said before, if that is the case I won't be the man to lead Wales forward because I am not sure if I would want to be involved in that set-up.
"I have said that to the committee, and I have said it in a press conference, because I don't think you can plan like that, you have to look longer."
He added: "I was asked to change my backroom staff, I was not put under pressure, it wasn't just in the last meeting...it happens all the time.
"I get asked loads of questions about my staff, the players and the work I do travelling around Wales.
"If you bring in anybody they get judged on results. In the whole campaign we have had just two bad performances and in the others we have been stretched, we have had some great performances, some good results and some defeats as well and you are judged on them.
"If you are manager of a club the chairman has every right to ask you a question, and the FAW the same can ask what about this or that.
"But I remember (Gary) Speed when he took the job, a lot was said about his staff. They did not do well in the first five games but then they went on a run and nothing is mentioned. But I understand the nature of the FAW wanting to ask me questions.
"I have seen how things can go from one direction to another in 10 days on the basis of two bad results."
Bellamy was asked whether he would be interested in managing Wales earlier this week and, while he felt the question was unfair to he and Coleman, he acknowledged being in charge of the current squad would be a "great opportunity" for whoever is in charge.
The striker went on to state he feels this is the best crop of Welsh players since the last time the Dragons reached a major finals in 1958.
And Coleman also appeared annoyed the player had informed the media of his decision to step down from Wales duty, rather than himself.
When asked if the pair had spoken to discuss Bellamy's retirement, he replied: "The first time I saw that was definite was when I read it in a newspaper.
"Look, let's have it right, the whole campaign. We never had him at the start, there were other things going on, then he was back in and he has hinted it would be his last campaign, so it's not a big surprise.
"In the back of my mind I've been planning going forward, if I am going to be here, without Craig anyway.
"It's no big surprise. Craig has done numerous articles expressing what he thinks."