Secret Cinema's back to the flicks

The outdoor set of Secret Cinema's Back To The Future event

The outdoor set of Secret Cinema's Back To The Future event

First published in National Entertainment News © by

Secret Cinema's Back To The Future events are finally going ahead after organisers caused uproar by cancelling at the last minute.

The performances which bring to life movie hit Back To The Future were axed last week, some with just a few hours' notice.

After leaving thousands of ticketholders disappointed, founder and director Fabien Riggall confirmed the shows were now able to open today (Wednesday).

"We are happy to announce that Secret Cinema Presents Back To The Future will go ahead, " he said.

"We are extremely sorry for the delayed communications of last week.

"We know we let our audience down and will do everything we can to make it up to them."

More than 60,000 tickets are said to have been sold, costing £53.50 for adults with family tickets at £140.

Fans who had tickets for performances between July 24 and 27 can now reschedule tickets or to get a full refund by contacting See Tickets.

Many fans said they had been left badly out of pocket because of travel and accommodation costs when the first show was cancelled last Thursday.

Ticketholders voiced their anger when event organisers failed to let them know the fate of the following day's show.

Instead, they left them waiting until an email was sent after 2.30pm - with many travellers from around the UK having already set off.

Secret Cinema has already staged dozens of lower profile events, but its presentation of Back To The Future - billed as recreating the setting for the 1985 hit movie starring Michael J Fox, with fans dressing up in 1950s period costumes and attending the Enchantment Under The Sea prom - captured the public imagination.

Organisers have still to offer an explanation for the cancellation but there have been suggestions that there was an issue with the l ocation - close to the Olympic Stadium - yet to be passed for fire safety, although a spokeswoman for the event did not respond.

Photographs circulating online suggested the site was still under construction. A preview event was also cancelled.

Secret Cinema's Facebook page has been bombarded by angry messages, with many unhappy with the lack of feedback from the organisation.

Some said they had come from overseas and were unable to attend later performances, and a number demanded that they should be compensated for their outlay.

To compound the difficulties, visitors had been told to leave mobile devices at home before setting off to an agreed meeting point so they were unaware of the cancellation until they actually arrived.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree