ROSS Stearn struck twice as Eastleigh got their pre-season campaign underway last night with a comfortable 4-0 win at Basingstoke Town.

The Spitfires led 1-0 at the break after ex-Basingstoke man Craig McAllister had met Michael Green’s long throw with a glancing header that hit the underside of the bar and dropped into the net with 26 minutes gone.

By that stage summer signing Danny Hollands had already been denied by a goalline clearance, while a flowing Eastleigh move ended with James Constable firing wide.

Sam Wood, another new Spitfires’ arrival, came close to making it 2-0 before Basingstoke drew a smart save from Eastleigh ’keeper Graham Stack.

Ex-Spitfire Ben Wright delivered and Stack was alert to tip David Ray’s downward header over the bar.

The home side went closer still at the start of the second half when Wright struck the post with a free-kick from the edge of the box.

Then, at the other end, Ayo Obileye was denied by a goalline clearance from Marcus Johnson-Schuster.

On a wet night at the Camrose, the goals then began to pour in.

Stearn, who has plenty to prove having been transfer-listed this summer, cut in from the left and unleashed a thunderbolt into the top corner on 53 minutes.

Then, following a raft of changes from both sides, the former Sutton wideman latched onto a lovely slide rule pass from Constable and slotted home for 3-0.

Basingstoke keeper Liam Beech, who was not at fault for any of the goals, saved well with his feet to deny summer arrival Chris Zebroski.

But he was beaten again with seven minutes left as Constable wrapped up the scoring by heading home Stearn’s free kick.

Eastleigh’s National League rivals Aldershot Town emerged 2-1 winners at AFC Totton.

The Shots did the damage in the opening 11 minutes. Shaun Okojie, signed from Corinthian Casuals, scored the first himself and then laid off the ball to Bernard Mensah who set up Idris Kanu for number two.

Evo-Stik South West outfit Totton replied on 71 minutes when Nathaniel Sherborne planted a powerful header into the bottom corner from a right-wing cross.

Winchester City lost a close match 1-0 at home to Hungerford Town, who finished in the National League South play-off spots last term.

Ex-Totton striker Stefan Brown hit the outside of the post in the first half for Hungerford before Jon Boardman struck their second-half winner.