MICHAEL Carberry is confident of retaining his place in England’s Test side after being recalled to the limited-overs squads.
The Hampshire star looks set to play for England in all forms this summer despite his recent criticism of the management following his non-selection during the limited-overs leg of the Australia tour.
New England coach Peter Moores has included him in a 13-man squad for the T20 against world champions Sri Lanka on Tuesday, May 20 at the Kia Oval.
And he has also named him in a 14-man squad for the first three matches of the five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka.
Now Carberry is hoping to play against Sri Lanka at Lord’s next month, the first Test of a summer that includes India’s visit to the Ageas Bowl at the end of July.
He said: “I’m still hopeful of playing Test cricket, definitely. I thoroughly enjoyed the winter, apart from the result.
“It was a great challenge against a great Australian attack, an experience I look back fondly on. It gives me great confidence moving forward in my Test career.”
Carberry admits his England future was in some doubt six weeks ago following his criticism of the now former limited-overs coach Ashley Giles.
“It wasn’t looking great from my point of view,” he admits. “But since the change of regime I’ve had quite a good chat with Peter Moores and the selectors and they’ve made it clear I’m still very much a part of things.
“It’s good to know I’ve not been cast aside and that the window is still open for us 30-plusses if we’re still doing our thing in the county game.”
Carberry was contacted soon after Moores’ re-appointment three weeks ago.
“We had an opportunity to meet Pete a couple of weeks ago but fortunately I worked with him at England A level so already knew the kind of guy he is.
“He made it clear he sees me as being very much a part of things going forward and that I wasn’t being put on the scrapheap.
“At the end of the day it’s all about perception. Pete’s a very good man, what I said in the press wasn’t taken personally and he knows that I’m very serious about my career.”
Asked if he regretted his refreshingly candid newspaper interview in the three weeks before Moores’ appointment, Carberry continued: “No, not really. I’m a man’s man and have always been the kind of guy to stand by what I believe, rightly or wrongly.
“It wasn’t meant to be personal, we’re in a business where we all have to take criticism. I’ve been through a lot in this game and have never been the sort to hide away.
“Players are allowed to express their opinion and if you want to move forward as a team and as a player you have to be honest.
“Things were taken on board. The communication lines since then have been fantastic. I’ve had a few calls from selectors to see how I’m going and working with [recently departed batting coach] Graham Gooch has really helped.”