When news happens, text CHRON and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email & phone.
Bland given green light to return to action
8:46am Tuesday 5th March 2013 in Sport
Stoneham’s Richard Bland has been given the all-clear to return to action, after recovering from an injury that has kept him sidelined for the last month.
The 40-year-old saw his impressive start to the European Tour season interrupted after he was diagnosed with a double stress fracture of the sacroiliac joint in his pelvis.
The injury caused Bland a significant amount of pain in his lower back and led to him withdrawing from the Dubai Desert Classic in early February.
Since then, the Hampshire star has been forced to rest and undergo a programme of physiotherapy, but was told by a specialist yesterday that he can start playing again.
It is still likely to be a few weeks before Bland is ready for competitive action, with his provisional target for a comeback being the Hassan Trophy, in Morocco, at the end of March.
“I’ve got to get the feel back and get my body used to the workload again, so I will build it up gradually,” he said. “I’ve not even picked up a club in five weeks. I’m on the road back, though, which is good.
“You never want to be out, but fortunately I haven’t missed a big tournament as such.
“I felt I was playing well and could have done something, but if someone said you have to take a month off injured then February would not be a bad one for it to happen.”
Bland said the injury had not been caused by his swing mechanics, but rather had been aggravated by the amount of walking he has to endure.
“It’s highlighted a weakness in a certain part of my body, which was struggling with the workload being put on it,” he said. “I’ve been doing rehab to strengthen that area and will carry on strengthening it after I’m fit and healthy.”