When news happens, text CHRON and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email & phone.
Chemical alert staff taken to hospital as 'precaution' says firm's boss
NINE workers were taken to hospital after a chemical alert at a laboratory near Winchester.
The staff at Eurofins Environmental Testing at Otterbourne were checked out after a sample was opened and found to contain potentially toxic levels of hydrogen sulphide.
Six fire vehicles, including the ‘haz mat’ team and three ambulance crews responded quickly to the scene.
The company managing director Rachel Henton yesterday (FRI) said the incident was minor. The nine were taken to the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in private vehicles as a precaution after the incident at about 2.30pm on Wednesday.
She said none had actually become unwell but they were checked out and released the same afternoon. All were back at work at the lab off Waterworks Road the following day.
“We took it as a precaution. As further precaution, emergency services were called to confirm that the laboratory is safe and secure. The company wishes to clarify that the incident was not a result of its activities.”
The Health and Safety Executive said it was making enquiries into the incident.
Eurofins analyses drinking water quality, groundwater, water hygiene, waste management and pollution.
Its analytical services includes chemical analysis on potable and waste waters, trace elements, pesticide residues as well as heavy metals and toxic elements.