3:07pm Friday 1st February 2013
POLICE in Winchester are today advising people to review their security following the theft of six bikes across the city.
Thieves have struck at shed and garages in St Cross, Hyde, Abbotts Barton and Stanmore between January 21-31.
Overnight on Wednesday, January 30, a shed was broken into in Back Street, St Cross, and a high value men’s Rock Rider bike was stolen.
A communal bike shed in St Cross Road was also targeted and thieves took a red Carrera mountain bike and a black Specialized mountain bike. There was also an attempted shed break in Romans Road.
Sheds and garages have also been targeted in Austen Close and Abbots Road, both Abbotts Barton; Thurmond Crescent, Stanmore; and Arlington Place, Hyde.
Sgt Matt Fancett from Winchester police station said today: “The St Cross and Abbotts Barton areas of the city have been targeted by these burglars who have taken bikes and tools but I would like to take this opportunity to remind all residents in Winchester to review their security.
“By taking a few simple steps you can help to protect your property:
• Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property;
• Place all tools and garden equipment in locked sheds and garages;
• Secure more expensive items, e.g. mowers, bikes to an anchor point within the shed or garage;
• Mark all items with postcode and record serial numbers. e.g. UV pens or forensic marking kits. Register the details for free on www.immobilise.com;
• Take photographs of items such as statues and garden furniture if they are unusual, for easy identification at a later date;
• Fit a shed alarm;
• Keep the structure in good repair;
• Consider covering windows with curtains to obscure the view of the contents;
• Consider external lighting;
• Ensure the garden fences are in good repair between neighbours to prevent unlawful access."
Anyone with information about non dwelling burglaries in Winchester should contact their Safer Neighbourhoods team by calling 101.
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group