A SECURITY guard was attacked after two people broke into a sports club in the early hours.

The pavilion, on the site of IBM research laboratory in Hursley, was burgled at 4am on Tuesday with the grounds’ security guard confronting two people seen leaving the building.

After challenging the pair, the guard suffered hand and elbow injuries and was taken to hospital.

Hursley Cricket Club, within the IBM grounds, shares the hall with various other clubs and has a till, bar and changing facilities.

Despite the broken window and the reported burglary, nothing has been stolen, according to the police.

A police statement said: “A burglary occurred at the IBM Hursley cricket pavilion between 4am and 4.30am. A security guard responded and was injured when he challenged two people leaving the scene.”

“They are believed to have fled the area on foot.

“The guard received hand and arm injuries and is being treated at Winchester Royal Hampshire Hospital. At this stage, nothing has been reported stolen.”

One source close to the club said that members had never experienced anything like this in the past. She said: “We were supposed to hold our annual general meeting there yesterday but it had to be cancelled so the police could investigate.

“I don’t think anyone has ever experienced something like this at the club, and it’s shared between lots of us.

“Really, it’s not just a cricket pavilion, it’s a sports hall which has a bar and tills in one big building.

“I see security guards patrolling through the night around the grounds, but I don’t know who they are. If nothing was taken then perhaps they were spooked and the guard did enough, but I’ve not heard of them being injured.”

IBM moved to the Hursley site in 1958, with the sports pavilion opened eight years later, and the first match played on the ground in 1967.

Police are appealing for help from the public after the two people were seen leaving the site, which sits on Hursley Park Road, opposite another cricket ground.

The ambulance service had to rush the guard to hospital, after he suffered a ‘more serious’ shoulder injury.

South Central Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 4.22am to the clubhouse following an assault where a male patient sustained hand and shoulder injuries. We sent an ambulance to the scene and the patient was taken to hospital for further treatment.”