The Hampshire village of Kings Worthy has unveiled a new history board.
The Worthys date back to Saxon times and are mentioned in the Domesday Book. These villages were probably carved out of a royal estate, which may date back to Roman times as they are on the line of the Roman road from Silchester to Winchester.
The board was unveiled by the Mayor of Winchester on Tuesday beside the lychgate of St. Mary’s Church.
This is the latest addition to the four history boards in the Kings Worthy and Headbourne Worthy area installed to encourage villagers to understand and value their heritage and there are plans for more boards in the future.
The history board provides information about some of the buildings that can be seen from the busy footpath alongside the medieval pilgrim route from Winchester to Canterbury.
It focuses on four buildings in the village, St Marys Church which is a 13th century grade two-star listed building, The Cart and Horses pub which was a farmhouse and became a pub in 1760/61, the 17th century thatched Tavern Cottage and Chestnut Cottage which was once the millers house.
The board has been funded by Kings Worthy Parish Council and designed by Hampshire Printing Services from information supplied by the Worthys Local History Group, which is dedicated to the greater understanding of the history of the Worthy villages through a programme of talks, visits and links with schools and churches. More information is available from the website www. worthyhistory.org.