Winchester student dies from a legal high, inquest hears

Winchester student dies from a legal high, inquest hears

Winchester student dies from a legal high, inquest hears

First published in News

A STUDENT at Winchester university was killed by the toxic effects of a legal high substance, a coroner has ruled.

David Daniels had been studying at Winchester University when he was found dead having taken large amounts of Kratom.

It is thought to be the first time in the UK that the substance has been named as the sole contributor to someone’s death.

The substance, which is from a tree grown in South East Asia, is currently legal to buy in the UK and Mr Daniels’ death has sparked calls for the Government to take action.

The inquest in Southampton heard Mr Daniels, an American, had lived in New York with his girlfriend, who was originally from Hampshire.

He had decided he wanted to study sports science at Winchester in order to set up a psychiatry and physiotherapy business with his partner.

But on moving to the UK last summer they split up, and the 41-year-old then lived on his own at a flat in Marston Gate, Hyde, while studying at the university and working at a gym.

In October, Home Office officials started to investigateMr Daniels over the documents he had used to get a place at Winchester.

They found he had forged a reference and personal training certificate, and he was arrested as police were also looking into allegations that he had stolen items from his former girlfriend He was questioned at Winchester Police Station on October 15, and although the theft investigation was dropped he was informed that he would be deported back to the USA two weeks later.

Shortly after 5.30pm on October 21 police were called to his home after concerns over his welfare were raised, and officers forced entry to his flat after spotting his body lying on the kitchen floor through the window.

He was confirmed dead at the scene by paramedics.

The inquest heard Mr Daniels had used Kratom for several years, and toxicology consultant Peter Street said Mr Daniels had high levels of the substance in his blood.

He then said: “I do think it is something that the Government has got to pick up on soon.”

He said there were at least ten other substances in his blood, including anti-depressants and anti-epileptic medication.

But coroner Grahame Short returned a verdict that Mr Daniels had died as a result purely of the combined toxic effects of the two chemicals contained in Kratom; mitragynine and 7 hydroxymitragynine.

He said: “I consider it my view that David took the drug recreationally and regularly, and that he either consumed too much over a period of time which led to a critical level of this particular drug being in his body, or that the quality of the Kratom was different and therefore he underestimated its effects.”

When asked if the Government was considering banning Kratom, Crime Prevention Minister Norman Baker said: “The Government is determined to clamp down on the reckless trade in so-called legal highs, which has tragically claimed the lives of far too many young people in our country.

“We have permanently banned 350 substances previously sold as legal highs, mainly thanks to our use of generic legislation.

“I have also appointed an expert panel with the best brains in the country to look at how we can combat this dangerous trade. They are making good progress and will report to me shortly.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:53pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Firstnametravis says...

Really? He had ten other substances in his blood. Of course he died. Kratom had nothing to do with his death. I hate the news reporters that try to make kratom sound like a bad thing. It's just a perfectly safe plant taken recreationally for thousands of years with no ill effects. He obviously died from an overdose of ten prescription medications. He just happened to be taking kratom. If you get enough people taking kratom, at least one is bound to die of something, someday. Doesn't mean kratom was responsible, just means kratom was at the wrong place at the wrong time. If the guy had orange juice in his system does that mean that he died from too much orange juice? No. He just happened to be drinking orange juice when he died. Just like he happened to be taking kratom when he died from a lethal combination of 10 prescription medications.
Really? He had ten other substances in his blood. Of course he died. Kratom had nothing to do with his death. I hate the news reporters that try to make kratom sound like a bad thing. It's just a perfectly safe plant taken recreationally for thousands of years with no ill effects. He obviously died from an overdose of ten prescription medications. He just happened to be taking kratom. If you get enough people taking kratom, at least one is bound to die of something, someday. Doesn't mean kratom was responsible, just means kratom was at the wrong place at the wrong time. If the guy had orange juice in his system does that mean that he died from too much orange juice? No. He just happened to be drinking orange juice when he died. Just like he happened to be taking kratom when he died from a lethal combination of 10 prescription medications. Firstnametravis
  • Score: 10

2:47pm Tue 1 Jul 14

ianzombie says...

Where is the evidence that kratom alone killed this poor man?
What are the 10 other substances found in his blood and what doses were they found in?
There has been zero deaths accountable to kratom over its long history of use. This sort of scare-mongering journalism is sloppy and misleading.
Where is the evidence that kratom alone killed this poor man? What are the 10 other substances found in his blood and what doses were they found in? There has been zero deaths accountable to kratom over its long history of use. This sort of scare-mongering journalism is sloppy and misleading. ianzombie
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree