A NEW ‘old’ addition has been added as part of the restoration of Hockley railway viaduct near Winchester.
The Friends of Hockley Viaduct have found and had restored an old signal post, which would have been similar to the one used on the structure itself before it closed in the 1960s.
The signal post is now in place and is dedicated to the railwaymen who oversaw the passage of 16,000 trains in the twelve months up to D-Day in June 1944.
The addition of the signal is a reminder of the viaduct’s history as it continues to be restored for a new lease of life as a key part of the National Cycle Network Route 23.
Work on the project is progressing well, with several areas of the new route already being used by walkers, cyclists and runners.
It is hoped that the final sections of the route including that over the viaduct will be completed by the end of February 2013.