1,500 Hampshire children fail to get place at first choice primary school

Hampshire Chronicle: 1,500 children fail to get a place at first choice primary school 1,500 children fail to get a place at first choice primary school

AT least 1,500 Hampshire children have failed to get a place at their first choice primary school.

The county council has revealed that more than 10 per cent of four year olds did not receive their top option.

The figures are similar to last year despite a rising demand for places, with almost 15,000 applications made for primary school places this year.

Hampshire County Council has revealed that just under 90 per cent of parents applying for a primary school place for their child have been allocated a place at their first choice school.

More than 97 per cent have been offered a place at one of their top three preferred schools.

Councillor Keith Mans, executive lead member for children's services, said: “I am pleased to see that we have been able, yet again, to offer a high number of pupils a place at their preferred school.

“I do understand that there will be some disappointment for a small number of parents who did not secure a place for their child at a school of their choice.

“However, they have the right to appeal in these situations and can put their child's name down on their preferred school's waiting list.”

The figures for Southampton City Council are not yet available.

More education stories:

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:48pm Wed 16 Apr 14

Taskforce 141 says...

The country is short of schools, for some reason the politicians don't see that or dont care about it...
The country is short of schools, for some reason the politicians don't see that or dont care about it... Taskforce 141
  • Score: 2

12:51pm Wed 16 Apr 14

loonaloop says...

Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact. loonaloop
  • Score: 58

1:03pm Wed 16 Apr 14

WalkingOnAWire says...

loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence. WalkingOnAWire
  • Score: -17

1:08pm Wed 16 Apr 14

townieboy says...

loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths. townieboy
  • Score: 19

1:10pm Wed 16 Apr 14

wilson castaway says...

If you have been offered a place at a primary school that is over 2 miles from your home you can apply to the council for help with the cost of using public transport.They won't tell you this, of course.Apply to the transport dept.
If you have been offered a place at a primary school that is over 2 miles from your home you can apply to the council for help with the cost of using public transport.They won't tell you this, of course.Apply to the transport dept. wilson castaway
  • Score: 20

1:11pm Wed 16 Apr 14

townieboy says...

WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
[quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there. townieboy
  • Score: 24

1:16pm Wed 16 Apr 14

wilson castaway says...

WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
Its true.When my son was offered a place at a school which resulted in leaving the house 2 hours before tge start of school each day and a 8 mile walk for me I was in constant contact with the council as I awaited a place at our local school.I was told this.I am in first position for a place at said school.But my son does currently have a school place.If by any chance a family from another country moved into the area with no school place, they would automatically jump the queue.I then was told by the headteacher of the school I was waiting for that a place had been available for him for 6 weeks, as I phoned the school on the ofchance to see what was going on.The whole thing was a shambles.
[quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]Its true.When my son was offered a place at a school which resulted in leaving the house 2 hours before tge start of school each day and a 8 mile walk for me I was in constant contact with the council as I awaited a place at our local school.I was told this.I am in first position for a place at said school.But my son does currently have a school place.If by any chance a family from another country moved into the area with no school place, they would automatically jump the queue.I then was told by the headteacher of the school I was waiting for that a place had been available for him for 6 weeks, as I phoned the school on the ofchance to see what was going on.The whole thing was a shambles. wilson castaway
  • Score: 7

1:29pm Wed 16 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed bigfella777
  • Score: -7

1:37pm Wed 16 Apr 14

elvisimo says...

bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed
don't be stupid - that wouldn't play well to the "educated" few on this site.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed[/p][/quote]don't be stupid - that wouldn't play well to the "educated" few on this site. elvisimo
  • Score: 11

1:55pm Wed 16 Apr 14

loonaloop says...

bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed
There have been plenty of new Schools built, in fact there are more School places now in the newer bigger ones. The simple fact is the doors were opened way before the infrastructure could deal with it. Go take a look at any local Schools, Doctors etc and make sure you remove the blinkers before you go.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Nothing to do with failure to build new schools then while old ones are closed[/p][/quote]There have been plenty of new Schools built, in fact there are more School places now in the newer bigger ones. The simple fact is the doors were opened way before the infrastructure could deal with it. Go take a look at any local Schools, Doctors etc and make sure you remove the blinkers before you go. loonaloop
  • Score: 8

1:59pm Wed 16 Apr 14

kyrrie says...

townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was. kyrrie
  • Score: 10

2:02pm Wed 16 Apr 14

loonaloop says...

kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
[quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope. loonaloop
  • Score: 17

2:05pm Wed 16 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
When did you visit it last then?
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]When did you visit it last then? bigfella777
  • Score: 2

2:06pm Wed 16 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

loonaloop wrote:
kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.[/p][/quote]And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic bigfella777
  • Score: -4

3:22pm Wed 16 Apr 14

loonaloop says...

bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic
Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.[/p][/quote]And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic[/p][/quote]Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact. loonaloop
  • Score: 10

3:35pm Wed 16 Apr 14

House Sparrow says...

loonaloop wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic
Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.
Ah! Never trust anyone who says "Trust me its a fact" More than likely it's not a fact just a bias opinion.
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.[/p][/quote]And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic[/p][/quote]Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.[/p][/quote]Ah! Never trust anyone who says "Trust me its a fact" More than likely it's not a fact just a bias opinion. House Sparrow
  • Score: 2

3:39pm Wed 16 Apr 14

smith62 says...

A lot parents applied for schools not in catchment, this has played a huge part! i am pleased with that we got first choice for our children.
A lot parents applied for schools not in catchment, this has played a huge part! i am pleased with that we got first choice for our children. smith62
  • Score: 6

3:53pm Wed 16 Apr 14

townieboy says...

bigfella777 wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
When did you visit it last then?
I live there. No need to visit.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]When did you visit it last then?[/p][/quote]I live there. No need to visit. townieboy
  • Score: 4

4:08pm Wed 16 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

House Sparrow wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic
Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.
Ah! Never trust anyone who says "Trust me its a fact" More than likely it's not a fact just a bias opinion.
Exactly lol. Trust me I know nothing about nothing more like.
I wish loonaloop could meet some of the children I think she would be amazed.
At the end of the day 85% of kids did get their first choice school anyway, this is just more poor journalism that plays into the hands of the ignorant.
[quote][p][bold]House Sparrow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.[/p][/quote]And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic[/p][/quote]Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.[/p][/quote]Ah! Never trust anyone who says "Trust me its a fact" More than likely it's not a fact just a bias opinion.[/p][/quote]Exactly lol. Trust me I know nothing about nothing more like. I wish loonaloop could meet some of the children I think she would be amazed. At the end of the day 85% of kids did get their first choice school anyway, this is just more poor journalism that plays into the hands of the ignorant. bigfella777
  • Score: 1

4:11pm Wed 16 Apr 14

boilerman says...

We should go back to the old way of kids going to the school in their catchment area or the next closest,
It is OK to give people choice but this is what happens, we then end up with more parents having to drive their kids to school which gives another problem.
We live near a school and the parents start getting there about 45 minutes before the kids come out, to make sure they get a parking space, the later arrivals park all over the grass verges and on double yellow lines it is chaos for about 25 minutes.
If the children went to the school closest to home they could probably walk thus getting exercise and looking at a lot of the parents they might get a bit of much needed exercise as well and it would reduce traffic and pollution.
We should go back to the old way of kids going to the school in their catchment area or the next closest, It is OK to give people choice but this is what happens, we then end up with more parents having to drive their kids to school which gives another problem. We live near a school and the parents start getting there about 45 minutes before the kids come out, to make sure they get a parking space, the later arrivals park all over the grass verges and on double yellow lines it is chaos for about 25 minutes. If the children went to the school closest to home they could probably walk thus getting exercise and looking at a lot of the parents they might get a bit of much needed exercise as well and it would reduce traffic and pollution. boilerman
  • Score: 17

4:17pm Wed 16 Apr 14

Bevois Valley Resident says...

loonaloop wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
kyrrie wrote:
townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.
St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.
And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic
Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.
Is there any reason you've slipped into a little capitalised French in your penultimate sentence?
[quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kyrrie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]You can also look at all the schools in Shirley. A program was recently on one of them and a story about it was in the echo stating what a " multi cultural " school it was.[/p][/quote]St Mark`s 20 odd languages in one class. The teachers wont admit it for fear of reprisals but even they are struggling to cope.[/p][/quote]And all the lessons are in English dummy. They don't teach each child individually, I can't take any more of these stupid ideas, where do you get them from? A comic[/p][/quote]Ah yes!! silly me all the children have English as their native tongue OR maybe they get taught a crash course before the parents decide to drag them halfway around the world. I can assure you my friend the majority of them born in the UK have NON English as their 1st language. Trust me its a fact.[/p][/quote]Is there any reason you've slipped into a little capitalised French in your penultimate sentence? Bevois Valley Resident
  • Score: 7

4:29pm Wed 16 Apr 14

dc4306 says...

immigration I agree the catchment school for my grandson has only a handful of english speaking pupils, luckily he has got a place in their second choice school so wont have to go there.
immigration I agree the catchment school for my grandson has only a handful of english speaking pupils, luckily he has got a place in their second choice school so wont have to go there. dc4306
  • Score: 7

5:35pm Wed 16 Apr 14

JanPawel says...

townieboy wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.
What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in?
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.[/p][/quote]What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in? JanPawel
  • Score: 6

10:00pm Wed 16 Apr 14

southamptonadi says...

The headline could also read 13,500 children get their first choice school which is great news and only 450 did not get one of their three preferred schools. Which is pretty good.

Two years ago my son was one of the 450 as we'll. because we live on the border of three catchment ares. but this time round we got our first choice.

I'm guessing most of those had more pupils living closer than they did or they were out of catchment.

I also presume everyone got a school which means there is enough school places to go around.
The headline could also read 13,500 children get their first choice school which is great news and only 450 did not get one of their three preferred schools. Which is pretty good. Two years ago my son was one of the 450 as we'll. because we live on the border of three catchment ares. but this time round we got our first choice. I'm guessing most of those had more pupils living closer than they did or they were out of catchment. I also presume everyone got a school which means there is enough school places to go around. southamptonadi
  • Score: 2

10:10pm Wed 16 Apr 14

southamptonadi says...

JanPawel wrote:
townieboy wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.
What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in?
I don think he is talking about you personally, just generalising that many people believe a lot of immigrants are taking the mikey with our benefits system and NHS. We'll today's sun ran a story on a Brazilian who only came here to give birth as our maternity hospitals are better then hers.

I'll also agree their are a lot of English people also taking the Mikey out of the benefits system.

The government are taking the issue seriously and trying to stop it.

You only need to see that program on the benefit cap which shows how there stoping it. Unfortunately they show mostly foreign born people which does not help.

But please don't take anything personally You sound like a hard worker and a credit to your nationality and I'm proud to have such a diverse and multicultural city and country and it's people like you who help that happen.
[quote][p][bold]JanPawel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.[/p][/quote]What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in?[/p][/quote]I don think he is talking about you personally, just generalising that many people believe a lot of immigrants are taking the mikey with our benefits system and NHS. We'll today's sun ran a story on a Brazilian who only came here to give birth as our maternity hospitals are better then hers. I'll also agree their are a lot of English people also taking the Mikey out of the benefits system. The government are taking the issue seriously and trying to stop it. You only need to see that program on the benefit cap which shows how there stoping it. Unfortunately they show mostly foreign born people which does not help. But please don't take anything personally You sound like a hard worker and a credit to your nationality and I'm proud to have such a diverse and multicultural city and country and it's people like you who help that happen. southamptonadi
  • Score: -1

10:10pm Wed 16 Apr 14

southamptonadi says...

JanPawel wrote:
townieboy wrote:
loonaloop wrote:
Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.
What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in?
I don think he is talking about you personally, just generalising that many people believe a lot of immigrants are taking the mikey with our benefits system and NHS. We'll today's sun ran a story on a Brazilian who only came here to give birth as our maternity hospitals are better then hers.

I'll also agree their are a lot of English people also taking the Mikey out of the benefits system.

The government are taking the issue seriously and trying to stop it.

You only need to see that program on the benefit cap which shows how there stoping it. Unfortunately they show mostly foreign born people which does not help.

But please don't take anything personally You sound like a hard worker and a credit to your nationality and I'm proud to have such a diverse and multicultural city and country and it's people like you who help that happen.
[quote][p][bold]JanPawel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Can only agree. These immigrants come here with a minium of 2 kids and instantly have more, as we let them have free everything their numbers in the family can go un checked. Simple maths.[/p][/quote]What is this free things that I get can you tell me? Maybe I could stop working 7 days a week if I knew how to get them. Where is my cheap house? How do we have instant child? I thought it takes 9 months to have baby. You say simple maths but I cant do these numbers? I could speak english at 10 years old what languages do you speak in?[/p][/quote]I don think he is talking about you personally, just generalising that many people believe a lot of immigrants are taking the mikey with our benefits system and NHS. We'll today's sun ran a story on a Brazilian who only came here to give birth as our maternity hospitals are better then hers. I'll also agree their are a lot of English people also taking the Mikey out of the benefits system. The government are taking the issue seriously and trying to stop it. You only need to see that program on the benefit cap which shows how there stoping it. Unfortunately they show mostly foreign born people which does not help. But please don't take anything personally You sound like a hard worker and a credit to your nationality and I'm proud to have such a diverse and multicultural city and country and it's people like you who help that happen. southamptonadi
  • Score: 0

10:59pm Wed 16 Apr 14

tohrasup says...

An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough
An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough tohrasup
  • Score: 1

12:58am Thu 17 Apr 14

WalkingOnAWire says...

tohrasup wrote:
An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough
How about removing the root cause instead and separating faith from education? Children can't choose what sky fairy to believe in and they end up being indoctrinated. It's up to parents what 'God' they want to teach about at home but it should have no place in any school, anywhere.
[quote][p][bold]tohrasup[/bold] wrote: An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough[/p][/quote]How about removing the root cause instead and separating faith from education? Children can't choose what sky fairy to believe in and they end up being indoctrinated. It's up to parents what 'God' they want to teach about at home but it should have no place in any school, anywhere. WalkingOnAWire
  • Score: 3

8:24am Thu 17 Apr 14

Redhaired22 says...

townieboy wrote:
WalkingOnAWire wrote:
loonaloop wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.
Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.
To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.
and you stand outside questioning occupants whether they have just come into the country do you? Moron! It wouldn't occur to you that they may be 2nd or 3rd generation of former immigrants, who we welcomed into the country decades ago! Get over it...
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WalkingOnAWire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loonaloop[/bold] wrote: Immigration. Simple, thumbs down as much as you like but its a fact.[/p][/quote]Let's see the facts that you use to base that opinion on. That means you need to analyse the figures from HCC and prove that it's immigration, rather than just assert something with no evidence.[/p][/quote]To you i would say go visit St Marys Primary school at home time. all the evidence you need will be there.[/p][/quote]and you stand outside questioning occupants whether they have just come into the country do you? Moron! It wouldn't occur to you that they may be 2nd or 3rd generation of former immigrants, who we welcomed into the country decades ago! Get over it... Redhaired22
  • Score: 3

8:34am Thu 17 Apr 14

Redhaired22 says...

tohrasup wrote:
An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough
Sorry to point out the obvious but why would you want to send your child to a school that follows that faith if you don't? people bang on about their children being indoctrinated (no that's by adults!) but just because a Catholic school is a more acceptable face of religion that doesn't mean to say that there isn't indoctrination of non-catholics who go there! that's the point surely.... the non-faith places I'm sure are oversubscribed ten times over.. that is why you haven't got a place...
[quote][p][bold]tohrasup[/bold] wrote: An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough[/p][/quote]Sorry to point out the obvious but why would you want to send your child to a school that follows that faith if you don't? people bang on about their children being indoctrinated (no that's by adults!) but just because a Catholic school is a more acceptable face of religion that doesn't mean to say that there isn't indoctrination of non-catholics who go there! that's the point surely.... the non-faith places I'm sure are oversubscribed ten times over.. that is why you haven't got a place... Redhaired22
  • Score: 0

8:34am Thu 17 Apr 14

Redhaired22 says...

tohrasup wrote:
An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough
Sorry to point out the obvious but why would you want to send your child to a school that follows that faith if you don't? people bang on about their children being indoctrinated (no that's by adults!) but just because a Catholic school is a more acceptable face of religion that doesn't mean to say that there isn't indoctrination of non-catholics who go there! that's the point surely.... the non-faith places I'm sure are oversubscribed ten times over.. that is why you haven't got a place...
[quote][p][bold]tohrasup[/bold] wrote: An important factor has been missed here. The majority of Poles are of the Catholic faith and by gove (if you excuse the pun) most of the best schools are Catholic/Christian. My daughter missed out on 1st and 2nd choice. And yet a Pole who's not been here long can get their offspring into schools like Springhill etc ..purely because of their faith. So unfair and so unjust. Farage may be an odious l'il man but the rolling back of the insidious EU can't come soon enough[/p][/quote]Sorry to point out the obvious but why would you want to send your child to a school that follows that faith if you don't? people bang on about their children being indoctrinated (no that's by adults!) but just because a Catholic school is a more acceptable face of religion that doesn't mean to say that there isn't indoctrination of non-catholics who go there! that's the point surely.... the non-faith places I'm sure are oversubscribed ten times over.. that is why you haven't got a place... Redhaired22
  • Score: 0

10:56am Thu 17 Apr 14

derek james says...

as immigration is behind 60% of new housing required only a fool would deny that it wasn't a driver behind the demand for new school places.it's not just school places but hospitals, doctor's surgeries and a host of other services.it doesn't matter where they come from we're full!
as immigration is behind 60% of new housing required only a fool would deny that it wasn't a driver behind the demand for new school places.it's not just school places but hospitals, doctor's surgeries and a host of other services.it doesn't matter where they come from we're full! derek james
  • Score: -3

11:12am Thu 17 Apr 14

Bevois Valley Resident says...

derek james wrote:
as immigration is behind 60% of new housing required only a fool would deny that it wasn't a driver behind the demand for new school places.it's not just school places but hospitals, doctor's surgeries and a host of other services.it doesn't matter where they come from we're full!
That's an interesting statistic - can you point me towards its source please?
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: as immigration is behind 60% of new housing required only a fool would deny that it wasn't a driver behind the demand for new school places.it's not just school places but hospitals, doctor's surgeries and a host of other services.it doesn't matter where they come from we're full![/p][/quote]That's an interesting statistic - can you point me towards its source please? Bevois Valley Resident
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree